Make playground safety child’s play
At TÜV SÜD, we take playtime seriously. The safety of playground equipment and installations, such as climbing walls, slides, swings and carousels, for public or domestic use are governed by stringent national and international standards and guidelines.
At the conceptual and design stage, TÜV SÜD provides design consultancy support to playground architects and designers. Through awareness training of the safety requirements, TÜV SÜD provides playground architects with a safety framework to exercise their creativity.
TÜV SÜD supports playground equipment manufacturers to navigate through complex product safety requirements for their target export markets and shorten their time-to-market through a single-stop testing partner. All components of the playground equipment need to be tested for chemical and mechanical safety. The final equipment needs to be tested and certified according to British, US and European standards before they can be exported. Playground equipment manufacturers can also benefit from TÜV SÜD Certification Mark, a third party endorsement of product’s compliance with standards equivalent to a stamp of approval.
TÜV SÜD also supports playground operators and planners to assess the validity of product certificates and equipment’s compliance with standards. In addition to initial site inspection, periodic inspections of the playground will also ensure that the safety of equipment is not compromised by weathering or regular use.
We work with stakeholders across the entire supply chain and understand the safety and consumers needs of different markets. Additionally, TÜV SÜD has a holistic portfolio testing, inspection, certification, consulting and training services for toys and children products. With TÜV SÜD, ensuring safety is child’s play.
Our services at a glance
Testing and inspection
- Compliance testing for according to EN and ASTM standards
- Chemical, physical and mechanical testing
- HALT/ HASS testing (Highly Accelerated Life Test / Highly Accelerated Stress Screening)
- Acceptance testing
- Periodic testing and inspection
- Initial site inspections
- Independent play equipment and product testing according to relevant European and US playground safety standards e.g. BS EN 1176, ASTM F1487-07 and CAN/CSA-Z614-07
- TÜV SÜD’s third-party Product Certification services for the European Public Play equipment and Public Play Surfacing Materials. Validation of a participant's certification of conformance to the following standards:
- IPEMA third-party Product Certification services for US and Canadian public play equipment and US public play surfacing materials. Validation of a participant's certification of conformance to the following standards:
- ASTM F1487-07, excluding sections 7.1.1, 10 and 12.6.1: Standard Consumer Safety Performance Specification for Playground Equipment for Public Use
- CAN/CSA-Z614-07 excluding clauses 9.8, 10, and 11: Children's Playspaces and Equipment
- ASTM F1292-04: Standard Specification for Impact Attenuation of Surface Systems Under and Around Playground Equipment
- ASTM F2075-04: Standard Specification for Engineered Wood Fibre for Use as a Playground Safety Surface Under and Around Playground Equipment
- Training for playground operators, planners and architects